Tuesday, February 9

Is This What Our Ancestors Was Fighting For ?

I'm sick of being praised for my light skin. The obvious lack of pigmentation that somehow makes me automatically cuter, better, and more socially acceptable. Being embraced for being a mixed race when I could really care less. No thoughts on my face being wide and round or my nose looking spread. They see the shine that the sun illuminates and equate it to beauty.

So many genuine yet ignorant compliments that makes a smile appear and a 'thank you' escape while someone darker than I am, more beautiful, barely gets a second look. I think although the African American race is the most beautiful race to be, its important meaning is lost within "society's acceptance." We are more than shades. We are a history. We are a struggle to be accepted by those that in a time didn't care how dark or light we were but classified us all the same.

We walk around with chips on our shoulders for the past life most of us never lived. knowing nothing of the history, only the images and mad , why?

slavery kept us more united than WE can with freedom.

pennanddpaperr.

6 comments:

Shay said...

I loved it all . Especially since I'm dark . When I was younger I had a complex because my siblings and mother are light skin , but as I got older I embraced my dark skin . I love it . The blacker the berry the sweeter the juice ! Lol ! But I hate ignorant statements like that . When my male cousins say they hate dark skin girls , " light skin is the right skin " . It's sad . Smh .

And that last line was powerful . Slavery did make us all one and now we're divided . Sad , Sad nation .

aimes said...

*SNAPS* ---playing Wale "Shades" now!

Unknown said...

OMG...I feel the same. You don't know how many darker black males have told me "You're lucky you are light cause if you wasn't I wouldn't date you". Its sad to know that people out there feel as tho I am better because I am lighter. SMH its annoying. I'm no better then the next

Ash K said...

I liked this. def wale song shades was in my head while reading this. I would have to agree with the last line about slavery kept us more united then with freedom. smh at people who would even think that one shade is better then the next. i don't see why so many put emphases on shades.Many are ignored because of it,even where they are gorgeous.

RiekaBaby said...

THANK YOU *snap snap* cuz i got tired of being "cute...for a dark-skinned girl"

Beauty in Rare Form said...

You been her before, girl! I KNOW IT! You just keep amazing me and I know by now you're tired of hearing it, but it is what it is...

Love the post! Keep 'em coming

XOXO